These doughnuts! Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Gluten Free Doughnuts, to be exact!
Well this is my birthday week (Thursday, to be exact) and growing up my parents always did an extra good job of making me feel special and loved on my birthday. Also, my birthday is always around Labor Day and so it feels extra special because of the day off! And in the town I grew up in there was always this huge festival with lots of activities, which just made for a big party, like all of the hullabaloo was for me 🙂 So, growing up birthdays were always awesome.
Now, the older I get, I’m not as excited about my birthday. You don’t have anyone to make you a special birthday dinner or cake, well, because you are the one who makes the dinners and the cakes.
So this year I decided to buck up and just go ahead and make myself a homemade, gluten free sweet to ring in my birthday with style!
Enter these gluten free peanut butter doughnuts, with peanut butter dark chocolate glaze. Now, this is not my original recipe, but is from the amazing Edible Perspective. I’ve had my eye on this for a while and decided this was the perfect occasion to make something a little special.
Boy I was so pleased with how these doughnuts turned out! In my family, we call any doughnut that you purchase at a doughnut shop or gas station, etc. a lead bomb. They taste so good going down, but the sugary doughnut just really slows you down, and feels like “lead” in your tummy! These homemade, baked, delicious doughnuts are the opposite of those grocery store lead bombs. They are light and have a cake-like texture and are just the perfect amount of sweet.
These doughnuts are the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I will say they aren’t too rich and aren’t overwhelmingly peanut butter-y. And the chocolate topping, really seals the deal!
- ½ cup oat flour (use gluten free oats, ground in a blender)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅓ cup peanut butter chips
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the melted peanut butter to the egg mixture.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- Using a Ziploc bag, with a corner cutout, pipe the dough into a greased doughnut pan.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure the doughnuts are done. Make sure that it isn’t too wet, but you don’t want it too dry.
- Let the doughnuts cool in the pan for a few minutes, then flip onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, frost away!
- For the Frosting: Melt the dark chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl, in 20 second increments, stirring in between.
- Dip the doughnuts individually in the chocolate. Place on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 20 minutes to set.